Christmas Care Packs and Meals Delivered to Residents
ROXBORO-Roxboro Housing Authority (RHA) along with Food Bank of Central and Eastern N.C. teamed up once again to distribute 180 meal boxes to residents today at the Administrative Office at Harris Gardens Apts. Care packages were also provided by community partners.
"The meal and care package distribution once again was a positive, safe and direct way to help families in need just before Christmas and during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic," said Felts Lewis, executive director.
Along with residents receiving masks from the Authority, free books were provided courtesy of Person Co. Partnership for Children. Person Family Medical and Dental Center gave away dental kits. Person Co. Arts Council donated art supplies. In addition, House of Prayer Ministries gave away coloring books, crayons and candy.
Piedmont Community College (PCC) recruiters also were on hand to share information about educational and job training opportunities.
This event was the second of its kind within a month. On Nov. 24, 2020, RHA distributed 120 meal boxes to its residents just before Thanksgiving.
Despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, RHA committed resources and provided a safe environment at each of its four sites to give out over 15,000 emergency meals.
RHA's COVID-19 relief efforts over the past 10 months included:
- Voter registration and Census 2020 drives
- Community gardens established at each community
- Free computer distribution (75 laptops and all-in-one units) to all RHA school-aged youths and senior residents)
- Afterschool tutorial assistance with hot meals offered to over 20 RHA school-aged children
- Employment opportunities to residents and other Person Co. residents
- Monthly newsletters to keep residents informed about COVID aid
- Calls and visits to vulnerable residents, ensuring needs were met
RHA is in the final installation phase to offer free Wi-Fi service at each housing community.
# # #