Resident Council Meets In Person and Online
RHA Exec. Dir. Felts Lewis addresses residents outside Lee Gardens Comm. Center for the first in-person meeting in a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
ROXBORO--Resident Council President and Resident Commissioner Charlene Wilson invited Executive Director Felts Lewis and staff members to its monthly meeting at 1 p.m. Tues., Mar. 16, 2021, at Lee Gardens Community Center.
About 10 RHA residents received agency updates at this first in-person (and virtual) meeting since March 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The meeting was held in the community center's courtyard following CDC guidelines.
Lewis said residents should expect the following:
- Improved customer service with Maintenance work orders
- Wi-Fi network equipment installation and completion at each of RHA's four sites, starting in Spring 2021
- Grasscutting to start mid April; procurement is upcoming
- A study to determine how much and what it will take to have RHA buildings and units to become modernized
- RHA Board of Commissioners are evaluating the pros and cons with converting public housing to Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) or Section 18--both are Section 8 models
Wilson facilitated a question and answer session. Residents spoke directly to the executive director about ongoing work orders issues. She requested residents to convey activities and resources they want. Lewis said the agency is working with an organization that can help establish an exercise and nutrition class.
The next meeting will be in mid April 2021 at the Weatherly Heights Community Center.